Vidya Balan is one of the versatile Indian actresses. Her character played as a ‘Silk Smita‘ in the movie ‘The Dirty Picture’ was a milestone for her career. The best thing about her is the choice for selecting characters. As a result, Vidya Balan is awarded by National Film Award, five Filmfare Awards, and five Screen Awards, and was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India in 2014.
|Height||1.63 m (approx)|
5′.4″ Feet Inches
|Weight||70 Kg (approx)|
|Date of birth||1 January 1978|
|Birthplace||Pallakad , Kerala, India|
|Age ( as in 2020)||42|
|Favourite Food Type||Thai Cuisine|
|School||St. Anthony Girl’s High School, Mumbai|
|College||St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai|
|Educational Qualification||Masters Degree in Sociology|
|Debut||In TV Serial (Hum Paanch)|
In 2003 Bengali Movie (Bhalo Theko)
In 2005 Hindi Movie (Pareenita)
|Father||P. R. Balan (Executive Vice President of Digicable)|
|Mother||Saraswathy Balan (Housewife)|
|Sister||Priya Balan (Works in Advertising Company)|
- Vidya was born in the Tamilian family. They spoke both Malayalam and Tamil at home.
- Vidya grew up in the neighborhood of Chembur. She always wanted to make her career in Movies. From a younger age, she was inspired by the actress Shabana Azmi and Madhuri Dixit.
- At the age of 16, she got her first breakthrough in Ekta Kapoor’s TV serial “Hum Paanch” as a Radhika.
- her parent waDs so supportive but they insist her to complete her education first. Then she completed her bachelor’s and master’s degree in Sociology at St.Xavier’s College, Mumbai.
- While pursuing her master’s degree Vidya sign a Malayam film “Chakram”. But due to financial problem film did not complete.
- Her film debut came with the Bengali film “Bhalo Theko“.
- Her Hindi film debut was “Pareenita”. Her role was recommended by the director Pradeep Sarkar to film producer Vidhu Vinod Chopra. By her outstanding performance in this movie, she won the “Best Debut Actress” Filmfare Award.
- After doing many commercial movies she got her golden role movie that is “The Dirty Picture” in 2011. For performing Silk Smita’s character she gained 12 kilograms weight. For more natural acting she used to smoke before giving final shots. This proves how hardworking she is!
- Because of her hard work, she won the “Best Actress Filmfare Award” for her Silk Smita’s role.
- Her latest movie Shakuntala Devi is releasing on Amazon Prime.
- While working in the movie “Kismat Connection” (2008) she got linked up with her opposite co-star Shahid Kapoor.
- Both of them declined that is was just a rumor.
- During an interview in 2012, Vidya Balan announced that she was dating Siddarth Roy Kapoor. He is CEO of UTV Motion Pictures.
- On 14 December 2012, the couple were married in a private ceremony in Bandra, Mumbai.
- Actors Aditya Roy Kapoor and Kunal Roy Kapoor are her brothers-in-law.
Awards Ans Achievements
- Vidya Balan is honored by “Padmashri” in 2014 by the Government of India.
- Filmfare Award For Best Actress in 2018,2013,2012.
- Big Star Most Entertaining Film Actor 2011,2010.
- Zee Cine Award For Best Actress Viewers Choice 2012,2011
- Screen Award For Best Actress 2017,2013,2012
- National Film Award For Best Actress For “The Dirty Picture”.
- IIFA Award For Best Actress 2013,2012,2010.
- Filmfare Award For Best Debut 2006.
- Zee Cine Award For Best Debut 2006.
- Filmfare Critics Award For Best Actress 2011.
- Guild Award For Best Female Debut 2006.
- Stardust Award For Best Actress in Drama 2012.
- The dirty Picture Contovorsy – Before releasing the film group of activists in South India organized protests and burned sizzling pictures of Vidya Balan. Silk Smitha’s brother also objected to her inappropriate portrayal in the film. He even filed a case in Andhra Pradesh high court against makers of the controversial movie.
- Weight Issues – She always had to face immense criticism for her heavyweight in the film industry. However, Vidya surprised everyone by gaining 12 kilos for her controversial role in ‘The Dirty Picture’. In an interview with Hindustan Time Vidya said that while she has come to accept her body for what it is, her journey to this acceptance wasn’t so smooth. “I’ve been called ‘jinxed’ down South. I rejected my body all my life. I worked hard at accepting myself. That acceptance isn’t complete yet. It’s still a long way. People don’t understand that when you grow up a fat girl, it doesn’t leave you,” she said. She also said that because of hormonal problems it is hard to maintain weight for her.
- Pregnancy Rumors – Every time Vidya refuses to sign a film, her pregnancy rumors become rife in B-town. Gossips are started out the rumors of Vidya’s pregnancy after the actress was spotted at a clinic. Later on, she refuted the rumors by stating that her personal life is not anybody’s business.